Sunday, July 17, 2005

That You May Believe - 4

"THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE"
Jesus' Claims In Relation To The Messianic Hope

Who was Jesus? What did He claim to be? In our previous study, we noticed how Jesus claimed that He came from God, that He alone has seen God, that He knows God, that He reveals God, and that He is equal to God. These claims all pertain to His relation to God. Jesus also made claims in relation to the Messianic hope. A hope cherished by many Jews at that time. A hope Jesus claimed to have fulfilled - cf. Jn 4:25-26 "The woman said, "I know that the Messiah will come. He is the one we call Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." "I am that one," Jesus told her, "and I am speaking to you now."". In this lesson our purpose is to look closer at the Old Testament concept of the Messiah and notice how Jesus claimed to the fulfillment of the Messianic hope.

In the Old Testament we find promises concerning the coming of a Messiah. Let's consider the Old Testament concept of the Messiah. The term "Messiah" defined in the Hebrew language, means "anointed one" The Greek counterpart to "Messiah" is "Christ. In the Old Testament, it is used as an adjective in regards to the priests ("the anointed priest") who were anointed with oil when consecrated - cf. Lev 4:3; 8:12. A noun in regards to kings ("the LORD's anointed") who likewise were anointed with oil - cf. 1 Sam 24:6; 2 Sam 2:4

The Messianic concept development began with Moses. He said God would raise up a prophet - cf. Deu 18:15,17-19. In Jesus' day, people were anticipating a prophet - cf. Jn 1:19-21 "The Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and temple helpers to ask John who he was. He told them plainly, "I am not the Messiah." Then when they asked him if he were Elijah, he said, "No, I am not!" And when they asked if he were the Prophet, he also said "No!". The Messianic concept continued with David who spoke of "the anointed one" as God and an everlasting king - Psa 45:6-7 "You are God, and you will rule forever as king. Your royal power brings about justice. You love justice and hate evil. And so, your God chose you and made you happier than any of your friends.". He spoke of One who would be both king and priest - Psa 110:1-4 "The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at my right side, until I make your enemies into a footstool for you." The LORD will let your power reach out from Zion, and you will rule over your enemies. Your glorious power will be seen on the day you begin to rule. You will wear the sacred robes and shine like the morning sun in all of your strength. The LORD has made a promise that will never be broken: "You will be a priest forever, just like Melchizedek."" . It was expounded upon by the prophets. Isaiah spoke of One who would be Mighty God, and a king forever - Isa 9:6-7 "A child has been born for us. We have been given a son who will be our ruler. His names will be Wonderful Advisor and Mighty God, Eternal Father and Prince of Peace. His power will never end; peace will last forever. He will rule David's kingdom and make it grow strong. He will always rule with honesty and justice. The LORD All-Powerful will make certain that all of this is done.". Micah wrote of One who would be a preexistent king and shepherd - Mic 5:2-4 "Bethlehem Ephrath, you are one of the smallest towns in the nation of Judah. But the LORD will choose one of your people to rule the nation-- someone whose family goes back to ancient times. The LORD will abandon Israel only until this ruler is born, and the rest of his family returns to Israel. Like a shepherd taking care of his sheep, this ruler will lead and care for his people by the power and glorious name of the LORD his God. His people will live securely, and the whole earth will know his true greatness,". Jeremiah foretold of One who would be a king and savior - Jer 23:5-6 "Someday I will appoint an honest king from the family of David, a king who will be wise and rule with justice. As long as he is king, Israel will have peace, and Judah will be safe. The name of this king will be "The LORD Gives Justice."". Zechariah told of One who be a priest on His throne - Zec 6:12 "Tell him that I, the LORD All-Powerful, say, "Someone will reach out from here like a branch and build a temple for me. I will name him 'Branch,' and he will rule with royal honors. A priest will stand beside his throne, and the two of them will be good friends." With great expectation, the people of Jesus' day were looking for the coming of this "Messiah" (cf. Jn 4:25). As revealed in Jn 4:26, Jesus did not hesitate to claim to be the Messiah.

Jesus claimed to be a "Prophet", a spokesman for the Father - Jn 8:26 "There is a lot more I could say to condemn you. But the one who sent me is truthful, and I tell the people of this world only what I have heard from him."", 28 "Jesus went on to say, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, you will know who I am. You will also know that I don't do anything on my own. I say only what my Father taught me." . One who speaks only the things of the Father - Jn 12:49-50 "I don't speak on my own. I say only what the Father who sent me has told me to say. I know that his commands will bring eternal life. That is why I tell you exactly what the Father has told me." Fulfilling the anticipation sparked by Moses He claimed to "God"as examined in our previous lesson. For example, recall Jn 5:18 "Now the leaders wanted to kill Jesus for two reasons. First, he had broken the law of the Sabbath. But even worse, he had said that God was his Father, which made him equal with God."; 10:33 "They answered, "We are not stoning you because of any good thing you did. We are stoning you because you did a terrible thing. You are just a man, and here you are claiming to be God!"". Fulfilling the anticipation sparked by David and Isaiah He claimed to be "King". When questioned by Pilate - Jn 18:37 ""So you are a king," Pilate replied. "You are saying that I am a king," Jesus told him. "I was born into this world to tell about the truth. And everyone who belongs to the truth knows my voice."" . Whose kingdom was not of this world - Jn 18:36 "Jesus answered, "My kingdom doesn't belong to this world. If it did, my followers would have fought to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. No, my kingdom doesn't belong to this world."" Fulfilling the anticipation sparked by David, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, and Zechariah He claimed to be the "shepherd". The good shepherd who gives His life for His sheep - Jn 10:11 "I am the good shepherd, and the good shepherd gives up his life for his sheep." . The good shepherd who knows His sheep - Jn 10:14 "I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep, and they know me." . Fulfilling the anticipation sparked by Micah He claimed to be the "Savior" in one of His last public speeches - Jn 12:44-47 "In a loud voice Jesus said: Everyone who has faith in me also has faith in the one who sent me. And everyone who has seen me has seen the one who sent me. I am the light that has come into the world. No one who has faith in me will stay in the dark. I am not the one who will judge those who refuse to obey my teachings. I came to save the people of this world, not to be their judge." Also recorded in the other gospels - Mt 18:11; Lk 9:56; 19:10 Fulfilling the anticipation sparked by Jeremiah He claimed to function as a "priest" in saying that one must go through Him to go to the Father - Jn 14:6 ""I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father." Also later taught by His disciples - cf. He 4:14-16

In this way Jesus claimed to fulfill the Messianic expectations. Later we shall consider the evidence John presents to sustain such claims. They were claims that certainly prompted the people to wonder - cf. Jn 7:26. But a closing thought for those of us who profess Jesus to be the Messiah: Do we demonstrate by our lives that we really believe Jesus is our Messiah? As our Prophet...to whom we are to listen as God's spokesman and obey? As our God...to whom we are to humbly submit and reverently worship? As our King...to whom we grant absolute authority and rule in our lives? As our Shepherd...in whom we place our complete trust and find our greatest source of comfort? As our Savior...in whom we depend for the salvation of our souls? As our Priest...through whom we approach our Heavenly Father in prayer? Unless we allow Jesus to be all these things in our lives, can we really say that we believe Him to be the Christ, the Messiah, God's anointed one?