Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Fammine For the Word

Amos 8:11-14

About 750 B.C., an obscure farmer and shepherd was called by God to be a prophet.... The man’s name was Amos. His mission: to warn Israel of God’s coming judgment if they did not repent! Sadly, the nation did not heed the call to repent.... As a result, they were led into Assyrian captivity. Part of Amos’ prophecy that was fulfilled concerned an unusual famine that would come upon the people: A Famine For The Word Of God! - Amo 8:11-14‘"Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord GOD, "when I will send a famine on the land-- not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, to seek the word of the LORD, but they shall not find it. "In that day the lovely virgins and the young men shall faint for thirst. Those who swear by the Guilt of Samaria, and say, 'As your god lives, O Dan,' and, 'As the Way of Beersheba lives,' they shall fall, and never rise again."’Today, there is also a famine for the Word of God.... Different in some ways, yet similar in other ways, and producing similar results!

In our study today, we will compare the present-day famine with the one foretold by Amos... In the present day famine, how different is it? The present famine for the Word of God was not sent by God. On the contrary, it is evident God has provided for a “feast”, not a “famine”! We enjoy an abundance of Bibles. Never before in the history of mankind has the world enjoyed such free access to God’s Word. Indeed, today’s famine for the Word of God is self-imposed! Despite such access to the Bible, the following “Diary Of The Bible” illustrates what is often so true:

January: A busy time for me. Most of the family decided to read me through this year. They kept me busy for the first two weeks. I’m now forgotten.

February: My owner used me for a few minutes last week. He had an argument and was checking references.

March: Grandpa visited us. He kept me on his lap for an hour, reading 1 Cor 13.

April: I had a busy day. My owner was appointed a leader of something and used me. I got to go to church the first time this year...Easter Sunday.

May: I have a few grass stains on my pages. Had some early spring flowers pressed in me.

June: I look like a scrap book. They have stuffed me full of clippings. One of the girls got married.

July: They put me in a suitcase today. I guess we’re off on a vacation. I wish I could stay at home, as I will have to stay in this thing for a month.

August: Still in the suitcase.

September: Back home again, and in my old place. I have lots of company. Two “True Stories” and four “Funny Books” are on top of me. I wish I could be read as much as they are.

October: They used me a little today. One of them is sick. Right now I’m all shined up and in the center of the table...I think the preacher is coming.

November: Back in my old place.

December: They are getting ready for Christmas. I’ll be covered under wrapping papers and packages.

Why is there this present-day famine for the Word of God? The answer may be found as we compare this famine with the one foretold by Amos and notice how similar it is. The present famine is the result of similar causes, such as, material luxury. In Amos’ day, this became the cause of pride which God hated - Amo 6:1-8‘"Woe to those who are at ease in Zion, and to those who feel secure on the mountain of Samaria, the notable men of the first of the nations, to whom the house of Israel comes! Pass over to Calneh, and see, and from there go to Hamath the great; then go down to Gath of the Philistines. Are you better than these kingdoms? Or is their territory greater than your territory, O you who put far away the day of disaster and bring near the seat of violence? "Woe to those who lie on beds of ivory and stretch themselves out on their couches, and eat lambs from the flock and calves from the midst of the stall, who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp and like David invent for themselves instruments of music, who drink wine in bowls and anoint themselves with the finest oils, but are not grieved over the ruin of Joseph! Therefore they shall now be the first of those who go into exile, and the revelry of those who stretch themselves out shall pass away." The Lord GOD has sworn by himself, declares the LORD, the God of hosts: "I abhor the pride of Jacob and hate his strongholds, and I will deliver up the city and all that is in it."’

Their luxury prompted them to “put far off the day of doom” in their minds (i.e., they did not want to think about the future). God had warned Israel that it might cause some to forget God - Deu 8:11-14‘"Take care lest you forget the LORD your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today, lest, when you have eaten and are full and have built good houses and live in them, and when your herds and flocks multiply and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied, then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery,”, 17“Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.'”Likewise, Jesus warned that riches could choke those who had received the Word- Lk 8:14“And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.”

Today, many in their search for wealth forget about God. Others have so filled their time enjoying their luxuries, they have no time for the Word of God. For example, consider the moral corruption around us. Consider how corrupt the people had become in the days of Amos - Amo 2:6-7“Thus says the LORD: "For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, because they sell the righteous for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals-- those who trample the head of the poor into the dust of the earth and turn aside the way of the afflicted; a man and his father go in to the same girl, so that my holy name is profaned;”Who can deny that immorality is having its effect on the church today?The world’s standards often become the standards of those in the church. When this happens, people will not want to feed upon the Word of God. If they did, it would make them very uncomfortable, because of its ability to reveal our true selves - He 4:12-13“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

Consider religious corruption, even within the church. The people of Israel couldn’t wait for religious days to be over - Amo 8:4-10“Hear this, you who trample on the needy and bring the poor of the land to an end, saying, "When will the new moon be over, that we may sell grain? And the Sabbath, that we may offer wheat for sale, that we may make the ephah small and the shekel great and deal deceitfully with false balances, that we may buy the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals and sell the chaff of the wheat?" The LORD has sworn by the pride of Jacob: "Surely I will never forget any of their deeds. Shall not the land tremble on this account, and everyone mourn who dwells in it, and all of it rise like the Nile, and be tossed about and sink again, like the Nile of Egypt?" "And on that day," declares the Lord GOD, "I will make the sun go down at noon and darken the earth in broad daylight. I will turn your feasts into mourning and all your songs into lamentation; I will bring sackcloth on every waist and baldness on every head; I will make it like the mourning for an only son and the end of it like a bitter day.”Today, many people can’t wait for services to be over so they can work or play. If they are unwilling to spend time in sincere worship it is easy to see why they won’t take time to feed daily on God’s word!