Sunday, January 04, 2009

Distracted By Good - Cont.

Luke 10:38-42

After having looked at the example of Martha and Mary in the first part of this lesson, what lesson can be drawn from their example and applied to our lives...? Are we distracted by things that may be good within themselves? Are we distracted by our duties as husbands and wives, fathers and mothers? Are we distracted by our responsibilities to work and community? Jesus warned against allowing such things to take precedence in our lives. Family cannot come before our service to the Lord - Mt 10:37 “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”; 12:46-50 “While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. But he replied to the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."’

Family and work cannot come before the kingdom of God - Lk 14:16-24 “But he said to him, "A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, 'I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.' And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.' And another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.' So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, 'Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.' And the servant said, 'Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.' And the master said to the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.'" Cares of this world can render us unfruitful - Lk 8:14 “And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.” Cares of this world can leave us unprepared - Lk 21:34 ‘"But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap.” If we become distracted by even things that are good we will find ourselves like Martha: worried, troubled, stressed out! We may find ourselves like Esau: selling our inheritance for a morsel! - He 12:16 “that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.”

-- Are we distracted by the good?

Are we disciplined? Disciplined to seek that which is better, the one thing that is really needed? The kingdom of God and His righteousness? Eternal life and the blessings which accompany it? Jesus taught of the value of choosing the good part. God’s providential care in our lives - Mt 6:31-33 “Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Ample surplus to replace our sacrifice for the gospel - Mk 10:28-30 “Peter began to say to him, "See, we have left everything and followed you." Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.” Peace and joy which the world cannot give - Jn 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”; 15:11 “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”; 16:33 “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."’; Ph 4:6-7 “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” If we are disciplined enough to make the proper choice we will find ourselves like Mary: free of anxiety, praised by the Lord! We will find ourselves like Job: experiencing the end intended by the Lord! - Ja 5:11 “Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.”

-- Are we disciplined to choose that which is better?

Martha had the opportunity to serve the Lord again on a joyous occasion, after the raising of her brother from the dead - Jn 12:1-2 “Six days before the Passover, Jesus therefore came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. So they gave a dinner for him there. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those reclining with him at the table.” Then she served with no distraction, free from worry, with no rebuke from the Lord. Such is the case of those who learn from Martha and Mary.... Those who put first things first, seeking first God’s will and work in their lives. While the Lord comes first, they become better hosts, spouses, parents, workers. Better than if they tried to do it on their own, without God’s help! Seek first the will of God, and everything falls into place. Become distracted by even that which is good, anxiety and problems will be our lot in life! Are we willing to learn from Martha and Mary...?