Sunday, November 18, 2007

David Strengthened Himself in the Lord His God

David Strengthened Himself in the Lord His God – Part One

1 Samuel 30:6 “And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.”
What’s the first thing you do in times of trouble...? Everybody has problems from time to time, but not everyone tries to solve their problems in the same way. What is the best way? One person in the Bible who had more than his share of trouble was King David...
For example:
1) He was pursued by King Saul
2) He barely escaped several assassination attempts
3) He had to spend much time hiding in the wilderness
4) His entire family was kidnapped on one occasion
5) His friends turned against him and were ready to kill him
6) He suffered the shame of having committed adultery and murder
7) His son Amnon raped his daughter Tamar
8) His other son Absalom murdered Amnon
9) Absalom led a revolt against his father
10) Absalom himself was killed, much to David’s grief

Need I go on? David was certainly a man with many problems! Yet somehow, he survived them all and has come to be remembered as “a man after God’s own heart.” How was he able to do this...? I believe we can find the answer as we consider what David did when faced with one of his most serious problems, as recorded in 1 Sam 30:1-6...
Lets look at what David did in times of trouble as revealed in the context of - 1 Sam 30:1-6 “Now when David and his men came to Ziklag on the third day, the Amalekites had made a raid against the Negeb and against Ziklag. They had overcome Ziklag and burned it with fire and taken captive the women and all who were in it, both small and great. They killed no one, but carried them off and went their way. And when David and his men came to the city, they found it burned with fire, and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. Then David and the people who were with him raised their voices and wept until they had no more strength to weep. David's two wives also had been taken captive, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel. And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.”. At this time in his life, David was living in Ziklag. Having fled from King Saul and was now aligned with the Philistines. The Philistines were preparing to battle King Saul, and David and his men had gone to join with the Philistines. But the Philistines did not fully trust David, so they sent him and his men back to Ziklag.

Reading 1 Samuel 30:1-6, we find that the town of Ziklag had been attacked and burned by the Amalekites - 1 Sam 30:1. The women and children had been kidnapped, including those of his family - 1 Sam 30:2-5. Naturally David is distressed; but on top of this, the people are ready to kill him for not having been there when he was needed - 1 Sam 30:6. But notice carefully the last part of verse six. What does David do when he has lost his family, and his own life is threatened? The Scriptures say, “But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” This is what David did first in times of trouble.... He strengthened himself in the Lord his God! With the strength he received, he was then able to deal with whatever the problem was before him! But what does it mean to “strengthen himself in the Lord his God”? In an effort to answer this question, I found it helpful to consider some of the Psalms written by David during troublesome times...

In times of trouble David often composed Psalms. While pursued by Saul, he wrote Psalm 59 - Psa 59:1-4 “To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when Saul sent men to watch his house in order to kill him. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. For behold, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men stir up strife against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD, for no fault of mine, they run and make ready. Awake, come to meet me, and see!” When imprisoned in Gath, he wrote Psalm 56 - Ps 56:1-2 “To the choirmaster: according to The Dove on Far-off Terebinths. A Miktam of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath. Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me; all day long an attacker oppresses me; my enemies trample on me all day long, for many attack me proudly.” Fleeing from Absalom, he wrote Psalm 3 - Psa 3:1-2 “A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son. O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. Selah.” Hiding in the wilderness of Judah, he wrote Psalm 63 – verse 1 “A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

From these Psalms, we can glean how “David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.”. From Psalm 56, we learn that David would place his trust in God to help him - Psa 56:3-4 “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”, 9-11 “Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?” From Psalm 59, we learn that David was determined to continue praising God for His help - Psa 59:16-17 “But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.” From Psalm 63, we see that David overcame his problem of loneliness by:
1) Seeking the Lord - Psa 63:1-2 “A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.”
2) Praising and praying - Psa 63:3-5 “Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,”
3) Meditating upon the Lord - Psa 63:6-7 “when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.”

In each of these psalms, David is basically saying the same thing.... In time of trouble, put your trust in the Lord. Stay close to Him, through praising Him and praying to Him. Do this, and you will be made strong as the Lord supports you! - Psa 63:8 “My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.” This was how “David strengthened himself in the Lord his God”, and was able to face and overcome his problems with the help the Lord gave him.

How about us today? In times of trouble, do we follow David’s example? We will consider a few thoughts along this line in dealing with our problems today in Part Two of this lesson.