Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Man after God's Own Heart - Part One

1 Samuel 13:13-14

In Paul’s sermon at Antioch, in which he briefly recounts the history of Israel, he refers to the statement made by God concerning David:
“I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.” - Ac 13:22; 1 Sam 13:13-14 “And Samuel said to Saul, "You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the LORD your God, with which he commanded you. For then the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your kingdom shall not continue. The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart, and the LORD has commanded him to be prince over his people, because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you."’ This beautiful compliment, “a man after My own heart”, is one that should characterize every person who wears the name of Christ.... For David was not only the ancestor of Christ according to the flesh but he possessed many of the attitudes that:
1) Were later perfected by Christ
2) Should characterize all those who are disciples of Christ
In this study we shall consider some of these attitudes that David had. We will see the similarities between his attitudes and those of Christ and encourage all who are Christians to have the same so that we too might be people “after God’s own heart”.

We begin, then, by noticing that David loved the Word of God. “Oh, how I love your law …” - Psa 119:97. In this psalm, if not written by David it certainly expresses his sentiment found elsewhere, where we find one who has a great love for God’s Word - Psa 119:47-48 “for I find my delight in your commandments, which I love. I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.” This love for God’s Word is due to the fact that it protects him from sin - Psa 119:11 “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” It revives him in affliction - Psa 119:50 “This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.” It gives him great peace of mind - Psa 119:165 “Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.”

Jesus loved the Word of God, as is evident from His frequent quotation of it. Especially at the time of His temptation - Mt 4:4,7,10 “But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" – “Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" – “Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

How is our love for the Word of God? Do we “hide” it in our heart? Do we find it to be a source of comfort in times of affliction? Does it give us peace of mind? If not, we should give heed to the instructions of David in Psa 1:1-3 “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.” Learn to delight in the Word. Learn to meditate upon it daily -- Then will we be truly “blessed”!

We next see that David loved to pray. “I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.” - Psa 116:1-2. His love for prayer was based upon the fact that God had answered him before - Psa 116:1-2. It was based upon the fact that God had greatly blessed him - Psa 116:12-13 “What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD,” It was based upon the fact that prayer brought God close to him - Psa 145:18 “The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.”

Jesus was also a man of prayer. He made it a point to often slip away to pray privately - Lk 5:16 “But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.” In times of greatest trial, Jesus resorted to prayer.... At Gethsemane - Mt 26:36-44 “Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here, while I go over there and pray." And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again.”
On the cross:
1) “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” - Lk 23:34
2) “My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?” - Mt 27:46
3) “Father, into your hands I commend My Spirit.” - Lk 23:46

How is our love for prayer? Have we found it to be a source of peace “which surpasses all understanding”? - Ph 4:6-7 “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Do we “pray without ceasing”? - 1 Th 5:17 “pray without ceasing,” If not, let David instruct us to depend upon prayer for our very preservation - Psa 32:6-7 “Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him. You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance. Selah.”

We will continue this lesson in Part Two, noting some more comparisons of David and Jesus, and asking the question, “How is our love for …..”?