Sunday, April 13, 2008

I Have Set the Lord Always Before Me

Psalms 16:8

In Psa 16:11 we are reminded that in the presence of God there is fullness of joy and true happiness... “You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”
I am sure that all Christians would agree; but even so, there are times we all find ourselves not as close to God as we would like. We find ourselves spiritually weak, filled with depression and anxiety. In such times, what can we do in order to become close to God again? The answer is found in Psa 16:8 “I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.” -- It is when we “set the Lord before us” that we receive the benefits of His Presence...

In this lesson, I wish to review ways that you can draw closer to God, or to “set the Lord before you”, anytime we find ourselves drifting away from God. Perhaps a good place to start is to set the Lord before you through God’s creation. Let nature help you draw close to God for the Creation speaks to us of God. It tells of His glory and His knowledge - Psa 19:1-2 “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.” It impresses us with His eternal power and His deity - Ro 1:20 “For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.” In their own way, such inanimate objects worship God - Psa 68:8 “the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain, before God, the One of Sinai, before God, the God of Israel.” When we take time to contemplate God’s creation we understand more of His power and of His person. This understanding enables us to come closer to God, just as increasing understanding between friends enhances friendship as it does any relationship (e.g., marriages).

Others used natural settings in drawing closer to God. Isaac would go out into the fields to meditate - Gen 24:63 “And Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. And he lifted up his eyes and saw, and behold, there were camels coming.” Jesus would often go to the mountains to pray - Mt 14:23 “And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,”. -- It may be easier to draw closer to God in the midst of God’s creation (nature), and away from man’s creation (cities).

“Walking alone at eve and viewing the skies afar,
Bidding the darkness come to welcome each silver star;
I have a great delight in the wonderful scenes above,
God in His power and might is showing His truth and Love.
-- Alone At Eve, verse 1, Will W. Slater

But God’s creation can tell you only so much about Him. To draw closer, you need to set the Lord before you through God’s revelation. God’s word provides the full revelation of God. . Through nature we are limited in what we can learn of God. We can see His power, divinity, glory, and knowledge, but we learn nothing of His will and purpose for us. It is only through Divine revelation that God has made His full will known. He has revealed many things through His Spirit, who in turn revealed them through the apostles - 1 Co 2:9-12 “But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him"-- these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.” Such things were written for our benefit and understanding - Ep 3:3-5 “how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly. When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.”

David and others depended upon the Word to remain close to God. David used it in many ways to stay close to God - Psa 119:92-93 “If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life.”, 105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”, 147-148 “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I hope in your words. My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.” Jesus used the scriptures to ward off the Tempter - Mt 4:4 “But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'", 7 “Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'", 10 “Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" -- Let God’s Word help you draw near to Him who is the source of peace and strength.

Sitting alone at eve and dreaming the hours away,
Watching the shadows falling now at the close of day;
God in His mercy comes with His word He is drawing near,
Spreading His love and truth around me and everywhere.
-- Alone At Eve, verse 2, Will W. Slater

But do not stop with listening to God through His Word. To really draw close to God, you need to set the Lord before you through your prayers. A close relationship must be a two-way street. God has revealed Himself to us through His creation and revelation. We must reveal ourselves to Him, which we do through prayer by which to express every concern, to receive appropriate blessings - Ph 4:6-7 “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” By which to draw boldly to God, to obtain mercy and grace to help - He 4:14-16 “Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Others found prayer the means to receive help from God. David found that confessing sins to God brought forgiveness - Psa 32:3-6 “For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah. Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him.” Jesus found prayer to be a source of strength in times of trial - Mt 26:36-44 “Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here, while I go over there and pray." And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again.” -- Draw near to God’s throne through prayer, let Him know of your deepest needs.
Closing my eyes at eve and thinking of heaven’s grace,
Longing to see my Lord, yes, meeting Him face to face;
Trusting Him as my all wheresoever my footsteps roam,
Pleading with Him to guide me on to the spirit’s home.
-- Alone At Eve, verse 3, Will W. Slater

We will continue this lesson next week with a final consideration to set the Lord before you through your fellowship, noting that strength comes from assembling together.