Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Art of Confessing Our Sins

Psalms 51:1-19

Do you remember the joy and the relief you experienced when you were baptized...? Knowing that your sins had been washed away by the blood of Christ? Knowing that you then stood before God holy and without blame? -- Wouldn’t it be great to experience that same joy and relief, time and again? There is no reason why you cannot...! Even though you may have sinned terribly after your baptism, for God has made provision whereby we can enjoy the continual cleansing of the blood of Christ! Not by being baptized again and again..., but by confessing our sins to God - 1 Jn 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” For God who is faithful and just has promised to forgive our sins! -- Just as we were raised from the grave of baptism cleansed by Jesus’ blood, so we can rise from our prayers knowing that we have been cleansed from all unrighteousness! The key is to confess our sins... But how does one do that effectively? Are there some things to keep in mind as we confess our sins? In Psalms 51, we have what David wrote after he was guilty of adultery with Bathsheba. He provides an example of how one should confess their sins to God. He provides what I like to call “The Art Of Confessing Our Sins.”

How should one go about confessing their sins to God? From the example of David, a good place to begin is with an appeal to God’s mercy and lovingkindness, (1-2) “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.” Note the basis of David’s plea for forgiveness; “according to Your lovingkindness”; “according to the multitude of Your tender mercies” -- David sought forgiveness based upon God’s lovingkindness and tender mercies.

The pardon we seek should not have as a basis in the merit or worthiness of man, but in the goodness and grace of God! As we seek “washing” and “cleansing” from our sins. Don’t base our appeal on our past accomplishments, for example, how much we have done for the Lord, or how long we have been a member of His church, but upon the goodness and mercy of God! Appeal to His mercy and grace! Knowing that He is slow to anger and abounding in mercy! - Psa 103:8-10 “The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.” -- Remember the parable of the Pharisee and the publican! - Lk 18:9-14 “And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.”

As we seek forgiveness, we must of course acknowledge our sins to God (3-4) “For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.” Note how David acknowledged his sin. He did not try to hide it: “my sin is ever before me”. He admitted that it was a sin against God Himself: “Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in your sight” While it is true he had sinned against Bathsheba, Uriah, his own wife... David knew that it was ultimately against God Himself! He accepted the condemnation of God against him. That God was both “just” and blameless” in judging him as God did when He sent Nathan to condemn him.

As we confess our sins appreciate that this is key to receiving God’s grace - 1 Jn 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Acknowledge the sin; while we may at times simply confess to be sinners, it never hurts to actually mention the sin for which we seek forgiveness. Understand that all sin is ultimately a sin against God Himself! Don’t fault God (His Word or His messengers) when we are exposed and condemned for our sins!

As we confess our sins, there is more that we should bear in mind. From David we learn that we should also understand where we and where God wants us, (5-6) “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.”

Until forgiven one is deep in sin. Using hyperbole so common in poetic language, David describes the depravity in which he finds himself. He is not trying to escape responsibility by saying he was born that way; only that he knows he is utterly sinful. But God desires much more. David knew that God wanted: “truth in the inward parts” - “wisdom in the hidden parts”-- Again, figurative hyperbole illustrating that truth and wisdom are to be as pervasive as sin had been! David knew that God desired to provide more than just forgiveness, He also desires: total restoration, with understanding and wisdom on our part, that we be equipped for faithful service.

Understanding what God wants of us helps us to appreciate what David goes on to say. Indeed, confession of sins should also mean that we pray for renewal and restoration (7-12) “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit."
David desired more than just forgiveness of sin. He does pray for forgiveness, using figurative language in asking God:
1.) To purge him with hyssop - Psa 51:7
2.) To wash him whiter than snow - Psa 51:7
3.) To hide His face from his sins - Psa 51:9
4.) To blot out all his iniquities - Psa 51:9
But he also sought for more; he desired...
1.) Joy and gladness - Psa 51:8
2.) A new heart, and renewal of a steadfast spirit - Psa 51:10
3.) A continuation of God’s presence and Spirit - Psa 51:11
-- As summarized in verse 12: “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me with Your generous Spirit.”

As we confess our sins we should look to God for more than just forgiveness! We should also ask for a complete renewal and total restoration! When we continue this lesson we will consider what David ask for in addition to forgiveness, as an example for us.