Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Art of Confessing Our Sins - Cont.

Psalms 51:1-19

As we continue this lesson we will consider what David ask for in addition to forgiveness, as an example for us. As we confess our sins we should look to God for more than just forgiveness! We should also ask for a complete renewal and total restoration! We should also ask for a return of “the joy of salvation” (that joy experienced when we first obeyed the gospel! - Ac 8:35-39 “Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.”
As we consider further David’s confession of sin, we find it proper to resolve to offer further service (13-17) David resolves to teach other sinners and transgressors - Psa 51:13 “Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.”

He resolves to praise God for His righteousness in delivering him from sin - Psa 51:14-15 “Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.”

Knowing that God delights in something more than animal sacrifices - Psa 51:16 “For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.” A broken spirit and contrite heart is what really pleases God - Psa 51:17 “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”; Isa 66:1-2 “Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.”; 57:15 “For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”

Such resolution is in keeping with true repentance for God desires more than just forgiveness, but total restoration - Psa 51:6 “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.” And zealous service is indicative of true repentance, as taught in 2 Co 7:10-11 “For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.” As we confess our sins we should look beyond obtaining forgiveness for past sin. We should look beyond obtaining present joy and gladness of heart -- We should be making commitments regarding future service!

Finally, as we come to the end of David’s psalm, we find that “The Art Of Confessing Our Sins” includes that we pray for God’s purposes, (18-19) “Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.” David offered a prayer regarding God’s purposes. That God would fulfill His purpose for Zion - Psa 51:18. That God would be pleased with Israel’s sacrifices - Psa 51:19. -- Thus his confession of sin ends with a desire for that which pleases God. As we confess our sins we should not be selfish, praying for only our needs. What about God’s desires? His purposes? -- As Jesus taught us in “The Lord’s Prayer”, it is important to pray for God’s will as well as our own (cf. “Thy Will be done on earth, as it is in heaven”).
I hope I have not made the practice of confessing sins sound complicated.... Certainly there are occasions where a simple “I have sinned...” may suffice as illustrated in the prayer of the tax collector - Lk 18:13-14. Yet if we desire to be less self-centered in confessing our sins, we can follow David’s example...
Appeal to God’s mercy and lovingkindness
Acknowledge our sins to God
Understand where we are and where God wants us
Pray for renewal and restoration
Resolve to offer grateful service
Pray for God’s purposes

By praying as David did, we are sure to experience two things: forgiveness itself and the joy of forgiveness. -- As David expressed in Psa 32:1-5, written after receiving forgiveness for his sins. “Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.” The Christian who confesses his sins is the truly happy individual (“Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven...”), for they have the assurance of salvation (see 1 Jn 1:9). Have you confessed your sins to God today?